01 02 03 Bookish Wanderess: Ten Books That Celebrate Diversity | Top Ten Tuesday #1 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Ten Books That Celebrate Diversity | Top Ten Tuesday #1

34
Top Ten Tuesday Bookish Wanderess

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme held over at Broke and Bookish. This week’s topic is: Ten Books That Celebrate Diversity/Diverse Characters (example: features minority/religious minority, socioeconomic diversity, disabled MC, neurotypical character, LGBTQ etc etc.).

Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
1) Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

This was the first book I thought about when I read this week’s topic, and I think it’s because I haven’t encountered a book were the main characters are both Latino and part of the LGBTQ community.

2) The Color Purple by Alice Walker

The Color Purple by Alice WalkerThis is one of my favorite books. I think the way it explores race and religion is quite interesting. Both sexism and racism are main topics of this book, what’s especial is that you see how some women defy that sexism through their relationships with each other, and you see how blind and unaware white people were through the relationship between a young white woman and the black woman who raised her. I JUST LOVE THIS BOOK.

Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan
3) The Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan

I choose this book mainly because of Reyna, because I’m latina and representation means a lot to me.  I think this book does a really good job with characters that have different socioeconomic backgrounds, different ethnicities, races, and sexual orientations.  



City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare
4) The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare

I choose this book because it has a bisexual character, who is in a gay relationship and at the same time this character is a POC.  I found Magnus Bane to be a very interesting and complex character, and he is the reason this book is on the list.


Clandestine in Chile by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
5) Clandestine in Chile by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I love this (very short) book. It’s historical fiction, a very accurate representation of a moment in Chile’s history and in Miguel Littin’s life. It’s the story of a Latino character, which is in exile from his country during the dictatorship, and it’s just a very interesting story of holding onto you country, your ideals, and your home.

6) Overruled by Emma Chase  

Overruled by Emma ChaseThis book is the one I read more recently and I was pleasantly surprised to find a main female character that was a Latina (born in Brazil) in a new adult book, because it had only happened once before. She is a successful lawyer, she is independent, smart, kind, sassy, funny and so much more, and as a Latina I felt I could relate to her and connect with her. It reminded me how important representation is. 



The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
7) The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

As someone who doesn’t know a lot about mental illness, I think the way it 's represented in this book is thoughtful, because it doesn’t try to make it seem like something easy to deal with, instead it shows how much the life of people with a mental illness are affected by it.


Legend by Marie Lu8) Legend by Marie Lu  

I think it’s amazing that this dystopian book has a biracial main male character, because it’s not that common, and  because a lot of times POC or biracial characters are there to fill a spot. It’s also great that his race is not made to be the more interesting or relevant thing about him. 


The Boyfriend Mandate by River Jaymes 9) The Boyfriend Mandate by River Jaymes


This is a very interesting book about a relationship between two men that are in very different places in terms of accepting their sexual orientation. This was the first new adult book I read that had gay characters and it definitely didn’t disappoint me. 


To All the Boys I've Love Before by Jenny Han
10) To All the Boys I’ve Love Before by Jenny Han

The main character of this book, Lara Jean, is Korean American. I found this particularly meaningful, because not many popular YA contemporary books have a main character that it’s not white. 

Labels:

35 36 37 38